How to Keep Your Commercial Roof in Good Shape
At Kauffman Roofing in Jamesport, we understand how to keep your commercial roof in good shape and why it’s so crucial. A roof protects your building, its inhabitants and all contents from hail, wind, rain, ice, snow, and heat. Our roofing experts can assist you in maintaining and repairing your roof so it can properly safeguard your building for years to come.
For a roof to protect your building, you need to consider design, material selection, and proper installation. You should also schedule regular inspections, maintenance, and commercial roof repair. This will help lengthen the life of the roof and protect the building from weather damage.
The best thing you can do is identify the roof’s potential problems and repair them early.
Regular inspections are important to find and fix any roof damage or deterioration.
Inspect the inside of the building
Sometimes roof problems are obvious from the inside the building. If you see water stains on the ceilings, you may have a leak. You should definitely get it checked out. Sometimes a crack or hole in the roof will allow water inside. Once this happens it can mean trouble. Get it taken care of right away. Also, if your building has mold or odors inside, it could be a sign of moisture inside from a roof leak.
Inspect the roof
The roof itself should also be inspected. How often you inspect a commercial roof depends on the age of the roof, recent weather events, foot traffic on the roof, and conditions identified during previous inspections but inspections should take place at least every 6 months. You should use a professional for this, not only for safety but because they are trained and know what signs to look for in identifying roof problems including:
- Prolonged standing water or ponding
- Unsecured or unsealed skylights
- A cracked plastic domed panels
- Roof flashing gaps
- Tears in the roof cover or worn or cracking seams
- A loose or detached lightning protection system
- Bubbles trapping moisture within the roof cover
Maintenance and Repair
To keep a roof in good shape you need to identify the problems with inspections and provide regular roof maintenance and repair. Preventative maintenance and early repair can prolong the life of a roof and may help you avoid an expensive roof replacement. Here are a few ideas for roof care:
- After a severe storm check the roof for damage
- Develop a repair plan for problems you’ve identified
- Keep the drains open
- Consider gutter straps designed to resist uplift
- Get rid of accumulated debris that can hold moisture, cause deterioration of the roofing materials and catch embers from a wildfire igniting the roof
- Pay special attention to previous repairs
- Trim the trees to prevent branches from rubbing against the roof and leaves clogging drains and gutters
- Seal vents and equipment gaps with flashing cement
- Contact insurer for roof inspection after hail storm
Knowing how to keep your commercial roof in good shape is important. It is an expensive item for your company and protecting your investment is vital. Our experts at Kauffman Roofing in Jamesport will inspect, maintain, and repair your roof so your building and its contents remain safe and protected. Give us a call today for assistance.